I wanted to give you a list of the five poets who have affected me the most in my writing life for my 5th National Poetry Month post. Along with their Wikipedia pages (just click their names 🙂 ), I have included a link to my favorite poem of theirs (although there are MANY, these were the most singular in my universe) so that you may get the same feeling they gave me when I first read them. My favorite moment from each poem follows its link.
- Anne Sexton -+- The Kiss “Pure genius at work. Darling, the composer has stepped / into fire.”
- Emily Dickinson -+- Because I could not stop for Death “The Carriage held but just Ourselves – / And Immortality.”
- Wislawa Szymborska -+- On Death, without Exaggeration “Whoever claims that it’s omnipotent / is himself living proof / that it’s not.”
- Billy Collins -+- Introduction to Poetry “I want them to waterski / across the surface of a poem / waving at the author’s name on the shore.”
- Richard Siken -+- Little Beast “History throws its shadow over the beginning, over the desktop, / over the sock drawer with its socks, its hidden letters. / History is a little man in a brown suit / trying to define a room he is outside of.”
Please let me know in the comments if any of these amazing poets are in your top five (if so, are there other poems of theirs you were really affected by), or if there are different writers in your “personal bests”…
Enjoy! 😀 😀